Thursday 19 June 2008

Licensing Committee - Grassendale garage decision

I spent much of today at the Licensing Committee. I have blogged already about my frustration with the system. But more important for local residents I suspect is the result of the committee hearing.

The committee, which is made up of three Councillors, was deciding whether or not to give a license to sell alcohol to the BP garage on the corner of Grassendale Road and Aigburth Road.

There were a lot of objections from local people and some significant comments from the police. All three Cressintgon Councillors - that's me, Peter Millea and Richard Oglethorpe - were there to represent the residents.

After a long hearing and a lengthy period of deliberations (which we couldn't be in the room for) we were told that the committee was refusing the application. There is a right of appeal, but the applicant had (fairly I thought) decided not to go down this road. So there will be no off license on this site - which I imagine is a relief to the large number of people who took the trouble to write in or to phone or e mail on the subject.

I am pleased at the result - still frustrated with the process though!

No comments: