Sunday 22 February 2009

Citizenship Ceremony

Today I was the "dignitary" at one of the Liverpool Citizenship Ceremonies. These take place (usually) at the register office and are the ceremony at which people officially are granted their UK citizenship. My job was to make a short speech and then hand over certificates and some lovely Liverpool medals. There were about 25 people taking part , plus some friends and relatives of course. Everyone was dressed up and looked really "smiley". I have sat and watched one of these ceremonies before, but this was the first time I had been booked in as the speaker. It was a lovely experience and I am glad I'll be there again in April. Actually I may be there before then as there is going to be a special ceremony at the Town Hall in March with Lord Goldsmith as the speaker.

No comments: