Wednesday 30 March 2011

Allotment statistics - nearly 1,000 waiting?

A Garston resident got in touch with me recently about whether there could be some more allotment sites in South Liverpool.

I've been doing a bit of research about the number of plots that exist in Liverpool and what the law actually says.

I found a bit of old statute, which seemed to say that an authority had to provide a site if a certain number of people asked for it (getting it checked)

However I also wanted to know the current state of play in Liverpool when it came to demand and waiting lists.

I asked a question about the stats at Full Council and got an "impossible to say" answer. I found that hard to believe so asked again ahead of the Environment Committee tonight.

Because the data is held by individual allotment societies it's hard to be absolutely precise, but the answer I got tonight was that "using a pro rata calculation a waitin glist of between 840 and 960 is suggested".

Seems an awful lot.  Perhaps there are ways of bringing some of the unused small bits of land into use this way.

No comments: