Saturday 12 May 2012

ATM Campaign - big development next week

This Monday, the people from LINK (the organisation involved in providing cash machines) are in Liverpool.

They are meeting representatives from the Council, but they're also doing a tour of bits of Liverpool where there are few or no fee-free ATMs to see if locations can be found to fill the gaps.

Cash machines that charge are a major problem in areas where they are the only source of cash.  If you are already short of money and then have to pay to get hold of the little you have, this is effectively a tax on poverty.

I've been working on this issue for more than a year now and I am very pleased indeed that this progress has finally been made.

(I was pretty persistent with the Council to sort out this meeting once the LINK representatives were in touch with me)

Sadly I won't be able to join them as the election result removed me from the Council.  But if new locations are found I will know that I have played a key role in helping people keep more of their own money.

If I get more news about the outcomes from the visit and meetings, I will post about it here.

No comments: